homestead - [Homestead] true for you, or ol' wive's tale?

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] true for you, or ol' wive's tale?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:55:15 -0400

Hi All,
i have posted this query on other lists, but no response from the
gardeners yet. I thought to see what you all think.

I have alot of alliums planted each year - 20-some varities of garlics,
Leeks and Elephant Garlic, 4 kinds of multiplying/'tater onions, storage
onions, and red scallions. I have heard that onions do not do well
"near" to any legumes. I have made some low berm beds about 2.5 feet
wide, that have about a 3' spread between them. I need to save seed from
too many beans and peas to refresh my seed library, and am wondering
about putting an heirloom sugar crowder pea/bean and Jacob's Cattle Beans
(bush) between these rows, as the deer do not usually bite things near my
many alliums. Do you think that this is a true for you thing - this not
liking to be near each other? I have found other such statements untrue
to my garden - like the same news about Fennels causing nearby plants to
do poorly.
I need to get these in the ground soon, and wonder what you think? The
one kind of seed is not easily procured, and i am down to a baggy of the
crowder peas ( grown by an Alabama family for many decades). I don't
want to blow it, but i have so many things to plant in my larger berm bed
garden.
I appreciate the wisdom of this list! Glad to be here with you all.
Toni in KY