homestead - Re: [Homestead] A no fruit year...<sigh>

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A no fruit year...<sigh>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:26:09 -0500

I'm sorry to hear about all the damage from this last cold snap. Here in PA, things weren't warm enough yet to be out far enough to be damaged. My asparagus isn't even thinking about coming up. There are no blossoms on any trees yet. Even the forsythia is only just thinking about blooming. I won't be setting out tomatoes and peppers or planting seeds until about the first of May or maybe a tad later. Snow on Easter is not that unusual. I've always envied all you people who can get an early jump over me on the gardening. Well, not this year.

Wendy

Over the weekend, we had several nights in the mid 20's, and one night
it got down to 21 degrees. All the fruit trees have been affected.
I'll be surprised if we get any apples, pears, peaches, nectarines or
blueberries this year. It sucks. To add insult to injury, we are
almost 8 inches under normal rainfall already, and we are barely into
Spring...<sigh>
How did the rest of you guys fare with this latest cold wave?
Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.