homestead - Re: [Homestead] A no fruit year...<sigh>

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A no fruit year...<sigh>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:24:11 +0000

thursday night we had snow but it didn't stay below freezing. saturday night
it got at least as low as 17 - that's what the thermometer read when i
checked at one point during the night. my peach tree and pear tree are
wilted, but i'm not sure yet how badly damaged they will be. the strawberries
all seem to be okay, even the flowers and immature fruit. the few tomatoes i
had set out early in my optimism are of course mush. most of the peas are
okay but some are wilted. the turnips and radishes are fine, as is the
lettuce and spinach. carrots are tiny, but they look fine, too. the lemon
balm, sage, and lavendar are not happy, but they look like they will pull
through fine, too. overall, it was much less damage than i expected. all of
the seeds in my cold frame are likely going to be dead, but i haven't looked
at them yet. we had no frost, so that might have helped. and there was a
breeze most of the time.

roxann, nw ar
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com