homestead - Re: [Homestead] A no fruit year...<sigh>

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A no fruit year...<sigh>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:10:17 -0400

Yup - same here, Lisa. Waaay too many plantings to even think of
covering on this farm. Oh, how good the next time we DO get all these
goodies will be. Right before the real cold hit, i went out and
harvested any asparagus peaking out of the ground - fat tips heaven for
dinner! I had had just planted out hundreds of Red Torpedo Onion
Seedlings, but hadn't gotten to the Leeks and Red Scallions yet. They
may be safe, but were very young and tender. All the ferns, asian
lillies, nigella,and Bleeding Hearts are top wilted in my perennial beds
out front. The newly planted Hardy Kiwis have black new growth. Tho i
suffer from ZDD, i revel in the fact that i didn't put out anything early
this time! They are all shivering in the southeast windows of the cold
basement. I expect yields to be down on the tomatoes, unless i resow the
too many kinds. The young seedlings are looking purplish and withdrawn!
The sour cherry trees had just begun their bloom the day before. It was
a fabulous few weeks before the cold came back.
For those not afflicted, SEND US ALL FRUITS!
Toni
Red River Gorge(ous), KY.

Lisa said: It stinks! Guess this is why we appreciate the bumper crop
years so much.
Why we make hay when the sun shines. But still....