homestead - Re: [Homestead] CS, Outsourcing, and McAfee product support OT

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] CS, Outsourcing, and McAfee product support OT
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:32:50 -0700

On Apr 3, 2007, at 8:54 AM, EarthNSky wrote:

I thought I would relay this here as I am sure you can all relate. This
is copied and pasted from a chat window, a conversation I had last night
with McAfee customer service. I have edited out my last name and phone
number, but otherwise the conversation stands as written. I am about
ready to scream.

Who among us cannot empathize with your frustration? We've all played some version of this modern game. What may be even more frustrating is when you cannot even get to a human being, only an ongoing phone menu, one that eventually directs you to a web page that supposedly answers all questions. Sure. A few weeks ago I attempted to resolve a rebate procedure that failed to produce the promised rebate and after playing the press-the-button game for what seemed forever, finally was able to press a button that would put me into the queue for "the next available service representative." I was on hold for nearly twenty minutes listening to the same message again and again about how I would soon be connected to a representative, blah, blah, blah. Then the line went dead.

Computers and the Internet are wonderful tools giving us incredible power and access to the world. As we become more dependent upon them, the tools begin to own us. For me it is a balance between good and bad. So far the good outweighs the bad.

I told Chris that for the first year after I get back to Heartwood I was again going to abstain from radio, television and reading any news. She asked how I was going to avoid news when I get onto the browser each morning to talk to you good people; could I fairly ask you all to never say anything about what's going on in the world? If one of you or one of my other correspondents made reference to something deemed important, could I resist clicking on any of my favorite news sources?

Catch-22.