homestead - Re: [Homestead] Off The Grid - Out of the Question?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Off The Grid - Out of the Question?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:56:00 -0700

Sometines i think it would be doable to eventually have our hot water
come by solar power. Our area is iffy for enough good solar days throut
the year

Tell your big brother that you need his help in designing a breadbox water heater and his expertise in figuring out the details of storing the hot water in a heavily insulated container large enough to get through sunless days. A water heater is one of the biggest energy gobblers in any house. I am hoping to eventually heat the Heartwood house with radiant heat pipes in the floor. I will build or buy a water heater, a boiler, that uses wood for fuel. By putting that first in line next to the gas heater, the gas heater would only come on if the boiler was not fired. A similar configuration using solar as the initial heat source should work. You are fortunate to have someone so knowledgeable, if he can and will spend the time to help you.

Good luck with the housing market - may that task be over soon with hefty
profits for your family.

Thank you. Chris is away for a week and my task has been to set a price. This last week of interviewing Realtors regarding the market, getting bids and weighing the pros and cons of expensive upgrades versus probable and potential profit has been intense. The future building program at Heartwood will be conditioned on how much gold we take home from this sale. Thirty years of dreams finally coming to fruition.