homestead - Re: [Homestead] Off The Grid - Out of the Question?

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Off The Grid - Out of the Question?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:55:24 -0400

Thanks for your post, Gene! I have been on lists where it has been
implied that people are connected with or trying to sell - so am cautious
about such. Yes, the HomePower gang is good at what they do........folk
with good ethics, methinks.
My brother has been with them from the beginning days, and is quite an
authority in that field. He now writes about Power Politics (kind of a
depressing talking with our current administration).

I also am among those who won't be working hard to afford RE tech on
our farm.........just cannot afford it or make such money in this very
poor appalachian economy that we moved to. I appreciate your listing of
ways that we can cut down on conspicuous consumption..this is the best
that we can do here w/o a lottery win or waiting for the non-existant
ship to come in!!

Sometines i think it would be doable to eventually have our hot water
come by solar power. Our area is iffy for enough good solar days throut
the year and we have no wind problems here that would drive a wind
generator. But, i have raised my family to do things such as your
suggest and leave a smaller energy/water use footprint. We have to feel
good about the small things that we CAN accomplish - like changing over
all the lights to fluorescents, gray water, no a/c, etc.

One night. about 1:30, i was dozing off to the tv and heard my brother's
voice on FSTV - know that voice anywhere!! What a surprise, as i hadn't
seen him since our move away from CA 5 years earlier. i opened my eyes to
see a show on Solar Guerillas, with masked men telling their stories of
putting power illegally back on the grid (safely, of course - these are
very knowledgeable people - who do care). What a fine way to end that
day, as i miss my big Bro!

All i know is that whatever small things we can accomplish to be frugal
and walk gently on this earth are good things.

Good luck with the housing market - may that task be over soon with hefty
profits for your family.
Thanks,
Toni in 'Tucky