homestead - Re: [Homestead] Off The Grid - Out of the Question?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Off The Grid - Out of the Question?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:50:03 -0700

On Mar 21, 2007, at 6:55 AM, tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

I am not saavy at all in RE tech stuff, but my brother has lived off-grid
in the norcal redwoods for 2-3 decades.
He is incredibly power frugal, and really walks the talk on energy
consumption (it is his passion, belief toward environmental wellness, and
he makes his living as a writer/editor for HomePower Mag, while having
modern comforts of electrical devices that most of us find needed. he
also has never had money to blow on frivolity ( 'cept good foods and
brews!). It sure can be done by we commoners and homesteaders. BUT, it
just takes learning and doing a step at a time. You might like to take a
look at that publication online - good archives there.

Please never hesitate to turn us on to something good just because you are bashful about promoting something connected to a friend or relative. I have read HomePower magazine. It is a good resource.

They are at: http://www.homepower.com/

Homesteading typically entails frugality, also known as simple living or intentional poverty. Makes sense to many of us. We are also independent so the siren of solar power sings to us. I hold solar power in high regard but find it not yet economic; it takes too many years for purchase price payback. Further, batteries charged by solar are inadequate for using power tools that have a heavy starting load. Even if I evolve to solar, I will stay connected to the grid. Eventually all electric utility companies will let the electric meter run backwards if your system is generating more than you are using.

The path to energy security starts with energy conservation. Reduce use. Tighten up the house. Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows. Insulate. Build storm windows or insulating shades. Buy energy- efficient appliances. That hundred-dollar refrigerator is eating your budget and enriching the utility company. A water heater's efficiency rating is worth studying to help you calculate payback period; the new ones are real money savers. The fastest money saver is simply lowering the temperature setting. Not sure today but it used to be that the most cost-effective energy saver was a water heater insulation jacket.

Learn how and implement energy-saving lighting techniques. Some of those expensive new bulbs are cheaper in the long run. Most air- conditioning could be eliminated with various simple shading and ventilation strategies. Build trellises, as simple as tall posts and chicken wire, and plant fast-growing deciduous vines on the hot sides of the house. Figure out how to bring cool air in at the low side and vent warmed air out the high side of the house. A simple screened door will vent refrigerator heat to the outside during summer, inside during winter. And for goodness sake, position the fridge as far as possible from the stove.

Implement designs to save water-pumping electricity. Build a gray- water system separate from your waste lines that will irrigate garden, ornamentals, fruit trees. If you can live with it--I can't-- install a water saver device on your showerhead. Brush teeth with a partial glass of water instead of leaving the faucet running. Have a family brainstorming session and see who can think of the best ideas.

A propane generator is a good resource if your area experiences frequent outages. But with planning you can get by without it. Get a used RV propane fridge for fresh-food backup. Convert your propane heater's fan to twelve volts and use a car battery when the lights go out to keep the heat blowing. Buy some kerosene lamps.

Control yourself, man. You do run on. Okay. Outta here.