homestead - Re: [Homestead] Planting advice

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Planting advice
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:55:02 -0500

Rob wrote:

Any chance of capturing the spring water and diverting it to
somewhere else?

No, even if I could find it, there's no place I could divert it to
without pumping it with power. This whole area is full of
springs..there's probably a subsurface spring every 150 feet or so..this
one just makes the garden a mucky mess in the Spring and Fall. In fact,
there is another, less powerful, spring about 3 feet west of my
asparagus bed that 'waters' not only that bed, but the Red Delicious,
too. But the real gusher, which has a 2 inch hole that water flows out
of, is about 100 feet higher on the ridge. It has its own little 2 foot
wide dry creek for runoff. At the same time, the spring in question
benefits the garden in the summer. I originally had an apple tree
planted within a foot or so of the spring, that was of course, before I
knew it was there, and of course, the tree died. Most trees don't like
wet feet, but willows love it. The pecan, historically a creekbank tree
anyway, is far enough away to benefit from the abundance of water, but
not close enough for root problems, at least, I don't think it is.
(about 20 feet downhill from the spring, and slightly to the north.

Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.