homestead - Re: [Homestead] Daylight Saving Time

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Daylight Saving Time
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:15:26 -0800

At 2/17/2007, you wrote:
This is news that bypassed me, which is not terribly
surprising. When I first heard about the change, I thought it was a
hoax or joke, but, alas, it is neither.

Remember that bit about those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it? This change in the date for setting DST (and forcing places like parts of Indiana and Arizona to go on DST) is one of those political grandstanding that politicians like to do instead of really solving problems which might make a campaign contributor upset. It was done in the name of saving energy but pushed several years into the future so we would hopefully forget who did it.

The past part, they did the same thing in the mid 70s only then it was supposed to be a year round thing. People did not like being pushed into the morning darkness so congress set the dates we were used to. Now they are shifting things around again in the name of energy savings.

I know how to change the computer date, but will have to play around
with the cell phone since I don't know enough to always dial the
numbers correctly.

Cell phones get the date and time from the system so it should not be a concern. As I cross time zones I sometimes watch the cell phone time shift back and forth as different cells connect.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.