homestead - [Homestead] Daylight Saving Time

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Daylight Saving Time
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:18:19 -0600

A reminder:

This is news that bypassed me, which is not terribly surprising. When I first heard about the change, I thought it was a hoax or joke, but, alas, it is neither.

Daylight Saving Time has been changed this year from the traditional date of the last weekend in March/first weekend in April, to March 11, 2007. Computers, cell phones, PDAs, digital cameras, DVD recorders - basically any electronic digital device will likely be pre-programmed to change the time on April 1, 2007. This means that from March 11 - April 1, some of your devices will display the wrong date, which will require you to manually change the date. For those whose VCRs still blink 12:00, don't worry. They won't change to 11:00, but will continue to blink 12:00.

I know how to change the computer date, but will have to play around with the cell phone since I don't know enough to always dial the numbers correctly. I still use a paper pocket diary rather than an electronic calendar, and I see that it already has DST as March 11. Glad to see that Letts of London is on top of things even if the computer and chip manufacturers are not.

You likely have heard this story, but I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to tell the same story again (and again, and again). That's one advantage of getting older. The old farmer, when told that Daylight Saving Time would give an extra hour of daylight in the summer, said, "My cotton can't stand an extra hour of daylight."

BTW:
The official spelling is Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight SavingS Time.
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

Jerry Shepperd

"Let your first ethical decision of each day be to show up on time."
-- Barbara Jordan

"Silence is not always golden; sometimes it's yellow."