homestead - [Homestead] Garden update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garden update
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:40:28 -0500

Well, maybe that should be gardening...as most of my garden is still in
the bedroom. :)
Today is day 14, and some things still aren't up, I think because I
can't keep the room warm enough for germination. I can't put all those
flats in the livingroom with the woodstove or we wouldn't have any room.
There's 11 flats, so I have them on a couple of shower curtains on
the floor in the bedroom. It's just borderline warm enough, so maybe
the rest of the stuff will germinate in the next few days.
All of my cole crops are up, and I have thinned and pricked out once,
will do again tomorrow. That's two types of broccoli, pak choi,cabbage,
and Chinese cabbage. The dill has also germinated. I have a few
Anaheims and a few assorted tomatoes and tomatillos germinating, maybe
10% at this point. None of the large seeded stuff like the curcurbits
are up yet.
Tomorrow, the Moon moves into Capricorn, which means it is a good time
to plant potatoes. I have some seed potatoes hardened off and
sprouting, so if my wrist holds up, I'llplant them tomorrow. My wrist
is wrapped and hurting tonight making it difficult to type. I also have
sweet potatoes rooting in water to make slips for later. Tomorrow, I
will go out to the raisedbeds, check on the greens I have planted as
well as the garlic that is under the straw, and try to find a spot to
grow some carrots, which will go into the ground on Thursday. Ihad a
few chickens dig under the moat fence and get out, and I notice that the
area where I had peas is scratched up, so I suppose I'll replant peas
this weekend when the moon moves into Pisces.
In the greenhouse, I watered all of my aloes and propogated plants like
the Confederate Roses and succulents and baby tree seedlings, but I
still have to somehow make room for the flats, some of which couldgo out
there this weekend. I saw some mouse sign in the greenhouse, so until I
get Mr. Mouse to vacate Earth, I can't put anything tender in there.
Things were looking dry, so I watered in the bush cherries and the
hazelnuts yesterday, only to have it rain today...figures. I also need
to add mulch to my asparagus bed and somehow rake up the waste hay where
the hayring was to put it in my raised beds. My wrist is hurting so I
have no idea of when I will be able to do that. It's especially bad
tonight-feels like it is going to fall off...feels broken..I've tried
ice, heat, wraps, and ben gay...it is current in a wrist splint like
those used for carpal tunnel syndrome. I've taken all the
anti-inflammatories I can take..what else can I do for it to stop hurting?

Bev
--
EarthNSky Farm Somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting
OUR freedom. He's only 19, and his sub won't be back until 7/29/07.

  • [Homestead] Garden update, EarthNSky, 02/14/2007