homestead - [Homestead] Curveballs

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Curveballs
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:47:06 -0500

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a bit about kharma during a time when I
was feeling sorry for myself. It's funny what a difference a week or
two can make. I start whining because I can't talk to my son, then all
of a sudden, I get an email literally out of the deep blue. I have all
this crap going on with my in laws, and I end up feeling worthless, like
nothing I do is ever right, and then I start down a road of
philosophical questioning. I have, in this life, always tried to be
helpful, try to do the right thing by people and live by the "do unto
others" rule. But, obviously, in a previous life, I was a monster.
There is no way other than kharma to explain all the crap that happens
to me. I have pondered, alone and publicly, just how much kharmic
debt there is to repay.. I just felt it would be nice sometimes to not
have to worry about whether or not something was going to come back and
bite me on my butt. I'm sure everyone feels that way sometimes..nothing
special about me feeling it..
But I am writing today to share another bit of news..it's both good and bad.
Last Friday, I finally ventured off to Atlanta to pick out plants with
my neighbor for her new house. The trip had been postponed multiple
times. It was an all day, frustrating venture, trying to stay within
budget and pick the right stuff. I came home physically and mentally
exhausted, too exhausted to even do chores..(all animals are alive and
well, no worries)..and wondered if it was all worthwhile-if her husband
would like it, etc. I downloaded email, and lo and behold, my life
turned upside down. Two years ago, I spent several months intensively
looking for work as a chemist. During that time, I spoke at length to
several companies, but of course, no one hired me and I ended up working
at the grocery store.
I pretty much all but gave up on ever working as a chemist again, but
Friday, one of the companies I had talked to in 2005 emailed me and
asked me to come in this week for an interview. Since then, I have been
conversing with the lab manager via email, and things look very
promising. The company is right across the road from Ron's workplace,
so it's as close as could be, in that we live outside of town. We need
the money, unfortunately, as Ron's work has been very, very slow for
almost a year now. The down side is of course, that I won't be around
much to garden and do other homesteady kind of things. I am excited
that I am getting another chance to have a career, but I am also sad
that I won't have time to do the things I love. I doubt, too, that I
will be online much if I get the job. Ron is, of course, extremely
excited about me bringing home a paycheck. It's a bit scary for me, not
having had a real job in a while, and worrying about how my health will
hold up. I'll have to make the transition back to being a day person,
too. I just hope I still have enough fine motor skills to actually do
the work, and I hope I still have enough brain cells left to be an asset
to the company. Of course, I haven't even gotten the job and I am
jumping the gun, but there is a lot to prepare for..The lab manager
today asked for references. I asked Gene for a reference because he
calls me Wonder Woman..lol..I've actually met him, so I can maybe
squeeze by with listing him.
So today, I am running around splitting wood, watering plants, and
contemplating cutting my own hair again. I ironed a pair of khakis for
my interview tomorrow. I hate ironing like the plague-last time I
ironed anything was about 3 years ago. It's a bit overwhelming..but you
know, sometimes, when life throws you a curveball, you just swing to hit
it out of the park...hope I don't strike out.

Bev
--
EarthNSky Farm Somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting
OUR freedom. He's only 19, and his sub won't be back until 7/29/07.