homestead - [Homestead] Hand Spinning and Marketing Wool & Products, was Re: Solar and wind

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Hand Spinning and Marketing Wool & Products, was Re: Solar and wind
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:26:41 -0600

Hey Van,
I used to raise long-wooled sheep (Romney, predominantly, with some Lincoln
and other). They were excellent meat animals (in my opinion, and the
opinions of many, the longer wooled sheep have better tasting meat). I
direct marketed to consumers with on-the-hoof sales. I would sell lambs and
deliver the lamb to the meat locker for the consumer, who would have the
lamb custom butchered to their order. There is a market for wools for
handspinners, but the wool has to be kept especially clean to command a good
price. Often such sheep are kept coated. At a minimum, care needs to be
taken that feeding and other handling does not contaminate the wool during
the growing year, as any vegetable contamination in the wool will mean
selling at a discount, not a premium (or losing reputation). Hand spinning
is extremely time-consuming. I cannot imagine selling what I produce - it is
for priceless gifts, from my perspective. There are hand spinners who sell
their yarns and finished products, however. If you want to explore the
market possibilities for specialty wools and wool products, I would suggest
that you begin with Spin Off! magazine.
http://www.interweave.com/spin/spinoff_magazine/ If you remain intrigued,
you may want to attend some fiber conferences.
HTH,
Gloria