homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hand Spinning and Marketing Wool & Products, was Re: Solar and wind

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hand Spinning and Marketing Wool & Products, was Re: Solar and wind
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:08:47 -0500

> Then, shearing is an issue. My sheep were too large for me to shear.
> They were almost too large for a professional shearer who stood about
> a foot taller than me!! Getting a shearer at the ideal time to harvest
> for hand spinning wool is ... danged near impossible.

Finding a shearer in this area at all is hard. I have a great one and I
dread the day he decides to get out of the shearing biz. I have Romneys,
too. My ram is a big old guy, probably 300 pounds (and it isn't all fat);
he's 10 years old and pretty laid back, but stubborn as a mule. My shearer
saves him until last...they wreastle around with much kicking and sweating
and swearing. I should sell tickets :-)

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA