homestead - [Homestead] Doing, learning, and impressions

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Doing, learning, and impressions
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:04:30 -0500

I wasn't finished with this, but here is the start...

Very often on lists like these, people get the wrong impression about
someone. People always say to me, "But you are a *real*
homesteader..."...lol...little do they know what I do and don't do on a
regular basis.
I've given a lot of thought recently to everything I've learned over the
last 15 years in regards to homesteading. Many people seem to get the
impression that because one says "I know how to render lard" or
something similar, that that person does it all the time. I started to
make a list of stuff that I have done and I realized that these things
fall into several categories.
A. Things I have learned to do and will do regularly, for whatever
reason. Ex: process home grown food, rainwater collection, use of power
tools, heating with wood, etc.
B. Things I have learned to do and will do every now and then, maybe
once every two years or so, out of necessity or because I kind of like
to do it. Ex: render lard, make bread, make cheese
C. Things I have learned to do and will do again in 10 years or so just
to refresh my memory on how to do it-things worthwhile to learn, but not
worthwhile to practice regularly (to me) Ex: Field dress a deer/goat,
make candles (I have made enough to last 10 years) etc.
D. Things I have learned to do, but will probably not/have no intention
to do again because of time, enjoyment or health issues, but could still
do if I had to or a crisis arose or in a survival situation Ex: Make
soap, tan hides, eat bugs/worms, chop wood the old fashioned way, etc.

Many things were very scary to me, using a pressure canner and
a chainsaw come to mind right off the bat, and while I am not totally
comfortable, still, I can do it. I have yet to conquer my extreme fear
of heights, however. I use all kinds of appliances now that I once did
not have-things like an automatic dishwasher and bread machines. I
mostly still handwash, but I do use the dishwasher, too. I just don't
feel a glutton for physical punishment anymore(I have gotten the whole
'no pain, no gain' thing out of my system), so I'll use technology if I
can afford it and I feel it will expedite the work. That said, I have
done many things the old fashioned way because I think there is value in
learning how to do it and in passing that knowledge on to the next
generation, like James mentioned growing barley so the kids could see
how it was done.
I would *love* to hear what others have given up doing, and for what
reasons.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.