homestead - Re: [Homestead] Longevity and genetics

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Longevity and genetics
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:58:04 -0600

At 10:48 AM 1/5/2007, you wrote:
> I don't remember ever reading about longevity that
> genetics was not listed as a major factor.

I remain unsurprised by how little medical doctors know about
nutrition and genetics. They learn to identify and treat problems. As
for genetics, I wonder how much time is spent on the subject in
medical school. I suspect little.

Forty years ago, genetics was a topic in some of my classes, but the focus was on the probability of inheriting health problems. There was no separate genetics class. My niece, who graduated from medical school four years ago, had a course in genetics. For physicians who want to know more, there are combined MD/PhD programs that are primarily research degrees.

Jerry Shepperd