homestead - Re: [Homestead] Longevity and genetics

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Longevity and genetics
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:48:58 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:
I don't remember ever reading about longevity that genetics was not
listed as a major factor.

I remain unsurprised by how little medical doctors know about nutrition and genetics. They learn to identify and treat problems. As
for genetics, I wonder how much time is spent on the subject in medical school. I suspect little.

The problem is, as I see it, not so much as how much time is spent, but
that the advances in scientific knowledge and understanding are coming
so fast now that no one, even the geneticists themselves, can't keep up.
The computer industry is the same...buy the top of the line system
today, and tomorrow it's obsolete. Learn all you can today, and
tomorrow, throw it all out the window because of some new discovery.
Physicians have a tough time keeping updated on advancements, not just
in genetics, but in nutrition, biochemistry,,,,you name it.
I personally believe, as you know, that more is genetic based than we
currently understand, but I think what we need to figure out is what
turns specific genes off and on. I think the environmental stuff can
act like a switch to turn things off and on, but there are no absolute
switching mechanisms...Anyway, I don't want to go down the genetics road
again so I won't continue on this..I think I have learned my lesson. :)

Bev, almost done garden planning...still sick but surviving.

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.