homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kale

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kale
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:11:08 EST

> Thanks, James. Good to know the plant probably died a natural death. I've
> wondered if there was something I did or didn't do. Is there a reason
> (taste, texture?) why you choose the biennial kale variety instead of the
> longer lasting perennial?

Volume. I find the sea kale to be rather tough, but nothing wrong with that.
We grew that Nero di Toscani kale (loose leafe cabbage, perhaps) this last
year and it was tougher than collards but it was our favorite.

Kale is real easy to grow, I treat it like cabbage so I plant the transplants
8" apart or so both ways and let it get a bit big. If I want the ground for
something else, I can clear it in midsummer and grow some more biennial kale
in the fall (although kale does pretty good in the summer too). The volume
of
kale per sq ft grown from seed would far excede the volume of perennial kale
in the same place.

> I need to collect empty pop jugs since we don't drink it.

Nor does anyone in their right mind more than very occasionally. But like
egg cartons, if you put out the word you want 2L soda jugs, you will be
buried
in them. By the by, they are UV stable. You can use the same ones for years
and years.