homestead - Re: [Homestead] Kale

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Kale
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:48:01 -0500

On 1/4/07, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering about starting another winter hardy kale plant or three
from
> seed. I'll have to doublecheck my Fedco catalog.

Fedco has it, they call it Sea Kale. "Winter Hardy Kale" might be
misleading
since most kales are winter hardy. The kale you describe is unique in
that
it is perennial rather than biennial as most kale is. Make sure your seed
source says *perennial* kale. Even that, alas, isn't what it could
be. The
perennial kale lasts a few years. Typically five or six. We reguarly
harvest kale
from the ordinary biennial plants for 18 months or longer and some go the
full two years before going to seed.

Thanks, James. Good to know the plant probably died a natural death. I've
wondered if there was something I did or didn't do. Is there a reason
(taste, texture?) why you choose the biennial kale variety instead of the
longer lasting perennial?

Most cool weather greens (beet tops, chard, turnip tops, kale, arugula,
mizuna, tsa-tso, corn salad, etc) can be wintered over if the air
temperatures
will stay above 0 degrees F. I've compared notes with several local
gardeners
and we've found that 26 degrees F seems to be the magic number where the
greens
have to be covered to prevent any damage.

I haven't tried this myself, but know it can be done. I have friends that do
and occasionally I luck out when they gift me with some of theirs--but only
if they have too much.

The very biggest spinach we've ever had was planted last January in
weather
much like this (also under soda jug cloches). I had hope of winter
spinach but
it grew to about an inch high and stopped. That is, until around the Ides
of
March when it grew into gigantic 18" leaves. *Almost* got our fill of
fresh
spinach that year. Almost.

Yeah, good old hindsight. If I had planted spinach to over winter in October
or even in November, I'd be eating fresh spinach today. That was a task on
my to-do list that never got done. Darn it. Who knew we'd have March & April
weather all December and into January? Even my hollyhocks are growing, now
about 6" tall. Everyone around here is hoping we won't get December weather
in April. I need to collect empty pop jugs since we don't drink it.

Lisa