homestead - [Homestead] Kale

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Kale
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 07:32:04 -0500

Good morning. For five years we enjoyed a winter hardy kale plant (planted
by the previous owner, thank you Stan), it came back every spring but
finally bit the dust during the winter of 04-05 and that was the end.
Believe it or not, we had never had kale prior to meeting this plant that
came with the garden. Now we love kale and have had to buy it locally the
last two years. We want to pick our own again.

A funny story for you. Some guy was thinking about moving to Floyd a few
years ago; he and his family parked their deluxe $100k motorhome in a
neighbor's field for a few months while they drove all over Floyd looking
for a parcel of land to buy. Meanwhile, we met them (their kids who were
close in age to our sons) and invited them over one afternoon for the kids
to play together. We tolerated the parents. As they were leaving, the guy
asked if he could have our kale plant. Seriously, we barely knew this person
and he wanted to dig up our kale plant. What nerve! And do what with it? Put
it in a pot in the motorhome? We gave them some to take with them--but not
the plant. He asked more than once. They ended up going on to Asheville,
came back to Floyd for a second look, then back to Asheville for good. Their
name came up in conversation in a store recently, I was nearby and privately
smiled remembering that was the guy who wanted to take the kale plant. It
never ceases to amaze me when you meet or hear of someone who boldly asks
for exactly what they want--and I'm always more surprised that some people
will fill their request. My s-i-l comes from this mold as well and my
husband and I been dumbfounded several times by her bold requests over the
years. Now I'm off-topic.

I'm wondering about starting another winter hardy kale plant or three from
seed. I'll have to doublecheck my Fedco catalog. Have you done it? Should I
start a dozen or so to end up with a few good, sturdy plants? Better off to
find plants and transplant?

Lisa
zone 5 to 6