homestead - Re: [Homestead] Strawberries

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Strawberries
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 14:16:51 -0500

Toni wrote:

Hmm - we also have a spot that calls for cranberries, Bev, is there
any particular reason why you would get the groundcover ones vs. the
bushes?

I'm designing a long term plan for a 70 foot long herb/flower/edibles border within my garden fence on the west side garden fence. I want something low, like a groundcover that will grow on a well drained but highly fertile soil where there is a slight bank. The border would be about 3 to 6 feet wide, depending on where you were standing, and the inside, the high side, is about 8-12 inches higher than the low side. I envision a few rocks in the border, but wouldn't call it a rock garden.
I just like the idea of groundcovers, and since I'm a bit far south for cranberries, I thought that being lower to the ground might help with keeping it alive in the summer.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.