homestead - [Homestead] Scorpions. Avoid.

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Scorpions. Avoid.
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:12:02 -0700

One price paid to be two blocks from a mountain preserve is scorpions. Over the three years we have had this Phoenix house I have squished perhaps a hundred of them. While tuning up the fountain out front yesterday I was stung by a little scorpion, perhaps three- quarters of an inch long. Chris is fearful of the little nasties so I have long told her that the sting is about like a bee sting, certainly no worse than the paper wasps at Heartwood. Wrong.

Serious discomfort traveled from the forefinger tip sting site up the finger, into the adjoining knuckle, up the hand and the arm. It stopped before the elbow. This got my attention sufficiently to do a bit of Googling. I was relieved to read that no one here has died from such a sting in the last forty years. The guy that nailed me is called the Bark Scorpion and is considered dangerous to small children and old people.

This morning, about eighteen hours later, the end of the finger is numb and is making typing awkward. So I'll stop.

Bottom line: take scorpions seriously.