homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shopping in a new land: Re: Schooling issues

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shopping in a new land: Re: Schooling issues
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:42:55 -0400

The grape story. And candy too.
Both Mikal (the Byelorussian) and Oleg (a Russian) were working at a
metal-working place and did not yet have cars so my husband took them to
and from work. The work site was about halfway between our farm and our
county seat where the grocery stores are.

One afternoon, we let the time slip up on us and husband had to dash to the
work place. When the guys got in the car, one of them announced, "We go to
shopping! Food need!"

So to town they went. The former Soviets went in and came to the front of
the store with their buggies. (This was in 1990). Husband has left in a
hurry and had about $20 in his wallet, and no checks and no credit cards.

Oleg had a few items. Maybe $10 worth. Mikal had a CASE of green grapes! I
don't know -- maybe a bushel? The size that you see bananas and apples in.
The grapes were on sale but they weighed enough to cost over $20 and Mikal
had a few other items also.

Husband said, "No, No ....too many grapes!" Mikal drew his dignity up and
said, in English, "What my organism wants, my organism must have!" A moment
of silence....

Husband pulled out the money he had, showed them that his wallet was empty,
and selected about 2 or 3 bunches, and said, "I have money for this, but
not for all...."

First Oleg checked out. Then Mikal, and they kept adding and subtracting
grapes until there were enough for him to completely use up all the money
and not one grape less.

The cashier had been there when we sponsored a Cambodian family and she was
very patient, but she thought it was funny.

At Christmas time, I took Mikal and his family to the flea market. They
came to the car at the agreed on time to meet to go home and had, among
other things, a CASE of candy! Hard candy, candy bars, chocolate, etc. I
was aghast. It was more candy than our family would eat in 5 years, if that
quickly.

When I said, "Are you going to let your children eat all this candy??" I
reminded Mikal about all the dental work we had done on the entire family.
They saw no connection. They also felt no financial pain over the work
because it was a low-cost clinic and the bills were paid by donations.
Again, there was the "What my organism wants, my organism must have!"
lecture, a little more sternly since I was only a woman. Vera, the wife,
added, "Only one time per year, only 2 or 3 boxes!" Well, this time, it was
their money -- his paycheck -- so we loaded the candy in. They had terrible
teeth.

>At 11/19/2006 10:22 AM,clhw wrote:
>
>The things we take for granted...

snip