homestead - [Homestead] Shopping in a new land: Re: Schooling issues

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Shopping in a new land: Re: Schooling issues
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:22:02 -0400

Interesting, Clansgian; you confirm what the Russian refugees I sponsored
told me.

When I took the first one, actually he was a Byelorussian, and his wife
Ukranian, for the first shopping trip 2 days after they arrived, it was an
interesting experience for us both.

First, she refused to go to the store. That was something for MEN to do,
not women. OK, so I told them to make a list of what she wanted. This was a
long, drawn-out chore because she didn't know why you would want to write
down what you wanted. She said, in Ukranian/Russian, "flour!" I said, in
English, "flour" and then asked what kind of flour. Blank stares. I said,
in Russian, "Do you want it for bread, cake, blinis, or what?" "Just
FLOUR." I said, "What kind?" More blank stares. "Self-rising, regular,
white, whole wheat, rye, pumpernickel?" "JUST FLOUR!!"

Well, after a while, we went to the store. The guy marched in through the
door, turned right, marched through the produce section, selecting a few
things. No problems. We headed to the back where the meats were.

He came to a dead stop. Bent over the coolers. Looked all the way down the
length of the building, seeing more and more meat. Turned grey. Then green.

I wasn't ready for us to buy the meat, so I beckoned him to turn up the
aisle with the flour. I gestured to the flour shelves, which only went
about 1/3 the distance of the aisle. I said, "Which flour?" and started
enumerating. He said, with tears in his eyes, "YOU DECIDE" and ran out the
front door of the store.

My husband followed him out while I shopped for their family of 6 as best I
could. Turned out, the guy had become physically nauseated by the sight of
more meat than he had ever seen in his life. The impact was more than he
could handle and he was a very shaken guy, sitting silently in the car on
the way home.

The next shopping trip, SHE wanted to go!! She talked with him a mile a
minute until we entered the store. Then she virtually started tiptoeing....
But SMILING! He was an old hand at this, so he escorted her around, FIRST
to the meat counter....

This email is long enough. I could relate the day of the grapes (what my
organism demands, my organism must have), the ripping Russians off grocery
store, and the tales the next Russian (a true Russian) lady told me about
shopping in Russia. If anyone is interested, I can post that. The Russians
make beautiful bread, but I don't know if you want to know about
turkey/goose feathers, and spitting over the bread...