homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shopping in a new land: Re: Schooling issues

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shopping in a new land: Re: Schooling issues
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 13:13:41 -0800

Recipes would be nice. Minus the spitting, of course <g>

Even having run a butcher shop and having helped Grampa when I was a kid, somethings still don't sit well. I was NOT prepared to lift the pot at Noni's house when she was teaching me how to make "real" Italian food and a pig was staring back at me from the stock pot! I'm rather inclined to leave the eyeballs out of my cooking <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "clhw" <clhw AT InfoAve.Net>

Interesting, Clansgian; you confirm what the Russian refugees I sponsored
told me.

When I took the first one, actually he was a Byelorussian, and his wife
Ukranian, for the first shopping trip 2 days after they arrived, it was an
interesting experience for us both.

First, she refused to go to the store. That was something for MEN to do,
not women. OK, so I told them to make a list of what she wanted. This was a
long, drawn-out chore because she didn't know why you would want to write
down what you wanted. She said, in Ukranian/Russian, "flour!" I said, in
English, "flour" and then asked what kind of flour. Blank stares. I said,
in Russian, "Do you want it for bread, cake, blinis, or what?" "Just
FLOUR." I said, "What kind?" More blank stares. "Self-rising, regular,
white, whole wheat, rye, pumpernickel?" "JUST FLOUR!!"