homestead - Re: [Homestead] Technology.Food Security

  • From: KNat <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Technology.Food Security
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:29:14 -0600

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Technology has the potential to make life more
comfortable and more secure

It's a two edged sword. The very fact that it makes life more secure means that it makes life more vulnerable.

Is it easier just to go to the mart and buy all your food (for example)? Certainly. But what if, for whatever reason (see the article Bev pointed out), the food to the mart is interrupted for an extended time .... or forever? Suddenly you are far MORE vulnerable than you would have been had you emulated the gardening ludite.
I HAVE to share. I just got off the phone with my partner (who is famed for ranting for hours about there's no such thing as "organic" being healthier and who took down the fence around the garden to use for a project so we had no stores put up this year.) He had to go to work and offered to swing by the local grocery store on the way home. Speaking of what to get, the conversation just naturally flowed to -his thinking the turkeys available in the store this time of year are pumped or something and aren't worth all the time and effort to prepare them; "good" turkeys are triple price this week for those that live money to mouth; it would be nice to stockpile the seasonal foods now when they aren't so expensive, but they don't sell them in the grocery store. I restrained myself (with difficulty) and he came up with- just getting yogurt at the store, then swinging by a garden center that also has a market area for local produce to see about getting some for storage and calling a coworker who hunts about local meats when he gets home. I don't know if he'll be successful, but, today, even he sees that connections are more reliable for food source.

Peace,
Kathyann