homestead - [Homestead] LGDs Was: Re: Disappearing chickens

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] LGDs Was: Re: Disappearing chickens
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:24:06 -0400

Marie -- One of my Koms, Kata, was a rescue from a sheep ranch in Colorado.
The owner had to give her up because of divorce and moving to a no-animal
apartment.

The other, Hagyar, we bought as a 14-month old from a dairy goat farm. His
dad, Thundar Rolls, weighed about 205 pounds and the last time we weighed
Hagyar, he was at about 115 and not in his full growth. He didn't like
strangers, especially the strange vehicles and ESPECIALLY the UPS trucks.

He managed to put puncture holes in 5 tires, but never in the UPS ones. I
think he got a thrill out of the hissing noise. At least two of those
times, the people were intruders who had no business here. And two other
times when sheriff's deputies came down the drive, they STAYED in their car
(no tires punctured on patrol cars)!

Hagyar loved the crunchy sound chewed possums made. He would nearly climb a
tree to get to one and he stopped several attacks on our chicken house.
While he was here, the deer didn't eat from our apple trees.

It was an article in The Mother Earth News which first got me interested in
Komondorok. I loved the look of these "mop" dogs. I've seen a Westminster
Best in Show and Best in Breed winner in full coat (at age 7). The owner
told me she spent an average of 2 hours per day per dog on coat care. We
just let Hagyar roam and cut the messy parts off. He loved to be corded.
Kata hated it.

Isn't it neat how dogs can sense malevolent intent in humans when we can't?
I've learned over the years to trust my dogs more than people.
Lynn who will go look up Anatolians....

>I had two Komondorok -- Hattie & Fern, named for two elderly cousins
>who were tough as nails. I got them from a neighbor, and I believe she
>got her original stock from a breeder in Missouri. They were wonderful
>girls, but not friendly with strangers unless the strangers were
>little people. We had a hired man named Jason who they loathed -- it
>later turned out that he was a thief.
>
>My Anatolian, who is much friendlier to humans but death on strange
>dogs and coons, came from central Arkansas. I miss the Koms but not
>their curls.
>
>Marie

  • [Homestead] LGDs Was: Re: Disappearing chickens, clhw, 11/15/2006