homestead - [Homestead] Recent reading

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Recent reading
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:32:51 -0800

My recent reading has included some books that are addressing many of the things we do on this list.

"Little House on a Small Planet" by Shay Salomon. This book explores the problems with large houses. The social, economic, environmental, energy, etc problems of ever larger houses in an era of ever shrinking families and resources. Several examples of small houses are shown along with discussions with the owners. Some are owner built, some are restorations, remodels, contractor built, etc. My only fault with the book is that it spends many pages on co and group housing. Good ideas in their own right but not one of my interests.

"A Handmade Life" by Wm. S. Coperwaith. A small book with mostly rambling about how we can cure many of the world's problems. Most of the ideas are very idealistic but worth thinking about none the less. He dows have some plans for a small Adz and what he calls a "Democratic Chair" His idea of democratic furniture os furniture that anyone can make, use, and feel proud of.

"The Party's Over" and "Power Down" by Richard Heinberg. Both books discuss Peak Oil and its possible affects. Heinberg talks with Climatologists and oil Geologists to get a picture of the approximate timing of Peak Oil and the consequences of our cheap oil society. In "Power Down" he discusses some options we have to survive Peak Oil but points out that we are not doing anything and it will probably be too late when we do. His "Last man standing" scenario. Both well worth the read.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.