homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water out West

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water out West
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 21:07:36 -0800

It isn't just the Colorado and it isn't just other states. Southern California is *stealing* water from Northern California as well, as do the "turn the desert into farms" ag areas in Oregon.

The big outfit in So. Cal that has poisoned most of the land down there just got their water leased resigned even though they are farming half the land they were before. All of it is subsidized by the taxpayers for big corporate farms, some of whom are foreign owned. The water that is being subsidized by the taxpayers is being sold for a profit by these big groups. It is only the small farmers who are being made to change their irrigation practices.

In the meantime, Northern CA is loosing their fishing and loosing their water levels for local use.

Somehow, I don't think we need to make some big corporation more money nor do we need to finance the profits of these companies at the detriment to the rest of the state and other states.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>