homestead - [Homestead] California weather

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] California weather
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:50:59 -0500

So, in other words, there is no "that's the climate in California" and
anyone alluding to "THE" climate in California or "all the hills are brown
and won't support livestock" are delusional!

The reasons for the saying are two: 1) A large percentage of California residents came from states that have stronger weather patterns, and, 2) most Californians live in areas that are quite similar in weather, the areas within fifty to ninety miles of the ocean. Hot, dry summers, ho-hum winters.

I remember when I first lived in California in the late 1950s. I looked at the houses being built and thought, "those things won't stand for the life of a mortgage!" That was before I learned that in fact there is no winter weather worth mentioning in the Bay Area. I grew up in Wisconsin.