homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:45:36 -0500

Putting our cattle out to pasture was mostly for their exercise. There was
very little grazing available.

I know some beef "producers here in southern Missouri who are doing very well, primarily because we have pasture nearly year-round. They buy young cattle, have them trucked here, feed them on pasture for some months, especially through the winter, and then sell them to finishers.

Alas, this economic opportunity has resulted in much clearing of forest to create new pastures. I foresee a drop in aquifer levels.