homestead - Re: [Homestead] L o v i n ' Y o u r R a n c h e t t e

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] L o v i n ' Y o u r R a n c h e t t e
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:42:38 -0700

SISU! wrote:

It's called the Gulf of Mexico, Bill. It streams moisture northward and when that atmospheric moisture hits those fronts that come out of the northwest, the whole east coast gets rain. You don't have a warm gulf streaming moisture, so you don't get that summer rain or all the storms that go with it.

Bev
Also Bill, I live almost as far from Atlanta as you do from Eugene, and as you know, a few hours makes a world of difference.

Indeed. It's a little drier with every westward step you take. Were it not so, the pioneer settlers of the west would have run straight to Wyoming and then settled in reverse.

Even with no land masses to form a "Gulf of Mexico" there would be a continuous stream of moisture out of the east along the equator, which would shift northward during our summer. This feature is called the "Tropical Jet Stream".

There tends to be a high pressure cell located over the Gulf of Mexico, and that moves weather upward and around in a clockwise direction, just as our off-shore high deflects storminess over to Idaho.

When the tropical jet heads west, it dumps a lot of moisture in the mountains of New Mexico. The national lab for lightning research is located there for that reason.

Bill
S. Oregon

P. S. - I can no longer read Lynda's posts. The one point she made about better and worse grasses wasn't really germane to the discussion, and it was so buried in personal insults that it wasn't worth it. Let me know if she submits anything of a factual nature.