homestead - [Homestead] processors and buying a new computer

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] processors and buying a new computer
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:54:40 -0400

I am now confused by all the processors....
I currently have mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 1700+
256 MB ram
NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX 400
80 GB hard drive

I would like better graphics and a faster processor than this computer,
would like at least 512 MB Ram upgradable, but prefer 1024.
Should I go with a dual core processor?
We don't do a lot of gaming, but we could. Ron likes flight sims and
other hi graphics games.
As for Op syst, it looks like most have XP Home or Media Center 2005.
Opinions on those?
I assume all the stuff I see online is a huge upgrade from what I have,
but I don't know anything about this stuff
On some things, it really doesn't matter if I upgrade or not since my
fastest internet connection is 26400kbps, usually in the 24000 range.

Bev, who has now broken some kind of record, going on 2.5 hours without
a crash and who greatly appreciates all the advice and knowledge on the
list. (I know this is very offtopic, but I don't know who else to ask!)

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky