homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fire

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fire
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:57:59 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

Any large tract of woodland will need burning off every so often anyway, and lightning usually does it for us naturally.

Bev, I don't know the logic for that. I know the logic of controlled burns but I can think of many forests that never burn.

I'm not sure what you are saying, Gene. Are you saying that forests
don't need fire to rejuvenate and maintain health?

Whaddaya mean, Gene, Whaddaya mean?

I feel that all

this dead wood is an accident waiting to happen.

I feel like it is the forest feeding the soil.

Well, of course it is that, too. It's also feeding the wildlife. You
should see one tree up on the ridge, that was felled by the Blizzard of
'93...ripped open by a bear and it is now in pieces. It's natural
processes at work. However, it is also a fire hazard to have hundreds
of dead trees lying around. Believe me, it will take a helluva lot more
than a prescribed burn to burn up those downed trees, but it would be a
good start, IMO. A wildfire would generate enough heat to put up
everything, but that's not what a controlled burn does....but you know this.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky