homestead - [Homestead] Heartwood pizza dough procedure

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Heartwood pizza dough procedure
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 08:13:55 -0500

Please share your recipe for the crust with the list!

I suspect I am undependable for recipes--much too casual about amounts.

Fill mixing bowl full of hot water. For just the two of us I grind one cup and a bit of wheat berries pretty fine. Dump the water from the bowl, dry, pour in some olive oil. In about a half cup of hot water I put some honey and stir it. Dump that in the bowl, add flour a bit at a time and mix into the water. When I figure the temperature of the water is down where it won't hurt the yeast I dump in probably one or two spoons of yeast; I just shake it out of the bottle. Add about a heaping tablespoon of wheat gluten. Keep adding flour until it gets too chunky and stops mixing well, then dump it onto the floured countertop. Normal kneading procedure until the dough feels right, then shape it into a ball. The bowl has been cleaned and again is full of hot water. Dump it out, dry, pour some olive oil in, swish it around. Toss the dough ball in, swish around in the oil, turn it over, swish again, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put on the stone in the gas oven where the pilot light keeps things pretty warm. After the dough has risen I dump it back onto the floured counter and push it into the size I want. Sometimes I use a stone roller but usually I push it out with my hands. I roll the edges up with my hands to help keep the goodies from falling off. Put the skin on the pizza peel and slide onto the oven stone. Turn oven on to four hundred and set the timer for twelve minutes. The dough does a second rise until the temp rises enough to kill the yeast, then bakes.