homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sewing machine problem

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sewing machine problem
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:47:44 -0400

sjc wrote:

Sounds like you have it pretty much under control.

The 15 was a great old gal, in production for many, many years. Many
of them were used daily and on rough fabrics---twills, other denims,
and most fabrics were a lot coarser in times gone by---and still they
performed well. There are a lot of them still in daily service,
although not usually to their original masters.....

Yup. My mother had/has several machines, and I was lucky enough to talk
her out of the Singer. She didn't want to part with it because she said
the newer ones just wouldn't sew the heavy stuff. I know I have sewn
through multiple denim layers, vinyl, thick upholstery fabric, you name
it, and never broke a needle, so when the needle broke the other day, I
knew something was seriously wrong. I suppose I could blame it on
gremlins.....

As to oiling, I oil any machine without a pump or oilpan once a month
or so, but my machines are in use most days, sometimes all day.
There's no chance you'll not want to oil it after sitting all that
time.

Okay, two votes for oiling....I'll do it tomorrow...but just to clarify,
the machine hasn't sat idle for 15 years tho. I use it a couple of
times a month, mostly for small jobs. I just meant that I have had the
machine that long and have never oiled it.

The only
thing is what kind of oil.

I have Singer sewing machine oil. No problem there.

Most of the machines that come here for repair have some sort of
tension issue (usually user-induced)

Yeah, "Mama said" never mess with the tension unless you are sure you
need to do so(heavy/light fabrics, special threads, etc.)

but the next 'batch' of problems are related
to the wrong kind of oil having been used and the whole thing feels
almost like it's seized. So using the right kind of oil according to
the frequency the manual calls for is the key.

Yeah, I read that in the manual. It says that oiling can cause problems
if you don't use the right oil, use too much, etc. That's why I have
not done it.

Need any more info, holler.

I will.

OT from the OT: I had 107 of the old 'black' Singers, at least one
primo example of each major machine that Singer made, when the house
burned. All were up and running nicely and I loved playing with
them. Now I have a few that folks brought in for repair and then
abandoned, but nothing like the gang before.

Wow. I'm sorry for your losses. That was quite a collection.
I only have the one machine at present. It serves my needs well. My
mother has a featherweight that she uses for quilting-can't remember
what brand, a Bernina and a Brother. Each one has a different purpose,
but I am not sure about models or what she uses them for. I suppose I
will inherit them one day. What I really, really would like to have is
my sister's serger... :)

Bev
--
Bevanron in NW Georgia EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses