homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sewing machine problem

  • From: sjc <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sewing machine problem
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 20:48:10 -0400

Sounds like you have it pretty much under control.

The 15 was a great old gal, in production for many, many years. Many of them were used daily and on rough fabrics---twills, other denims, and most fabrics were a lot coarser in times gone by---and still they performed well. There are a lot of them still in daily service, although not usually to their original masters.....

As to oiling, I oil any machine without a pump or oilpan once a month or so, but my machines are in use most days, sometimes all day. There's no chance you'll not want to oil it after sitting all that time. The only thing is what kind of oil. Do NOT use 3-in-1 or the like. that stuff turns to varnish (well, so it seems) in no time, gums up the works about right. What you want is a very light machine oil, should be very light and totally clear. I've got a 5 gal can here but there's a thousand miles between us...........Be sure and get the spots on the top and by the handwheel, often forgotten or overlooked. The motor should be lubed, too, if it so states in the manual (some do, some don't, never mind they have the same model number); not sure what they're using for that these days. Just take a toothpick or fine wire and clean out that little 'tube' where it goes, and put the new in. NO oil on motor, even if it has what looks like 'oil holes'.

Most of the machines that come here for repair have some sort of tension issue (usually user-induced) but the next 'batch' of problems are related to the wrong kind of oil having been used and the whole thing feels almost like it's seized. So using the right kind of oil according to the frequency the manual calls for is the key.

Need any more info, holler.

OT from the OT: I had 107 of the old 'black' Singers, at least one primo example of each major machine that Singer made, when the house burned. All were up and running nicely and I loved playing with them. Now I have a few that folks brought in for repair and then abandoned, but nothing like the gang before. Also had a lot of New Home Greyhounds, quite the racy machine for it's time....... Lots of fun, all.

Susan Jane, in Maine