homestead - [Homestead] Hello and best of Intentions.....!

  • From: "Toni" <tonitime AT juno.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Hello and best of Intentions.....!
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:33:28 GMT

Greetings, the List!
I just wanted to bop in and say how very glad i am that i stayed
with this good list, rather than rely on first impressions and
inevitable emotions run rampant! You all are great - such an
interesting crew :) We have had those fast-paced, changing times of
late on our stead, so i hope to get after some sharing here in another
month! We just got our eldest, home schooled daughter off to her new
life at Berea College (where my former city girl- now homesteader -has
actually been assigned to labor in the Ag Dept!). Younger girl has a
sweet 16 day on Friday, and i am packing to embark on a wondrous gift
of a trip to study rural entrepreneurship in the Highlands and Islands
of Scotland! Back by the 20th of September from that bit of luck and
learning. All expenses paid by the University of Kentucky School of
Ag, Community Leadership Development! Meanwhile, for the first year in
a long time, i haven't gotten my produce nearly put by as usual, seed
saving is behind, 3/4 of the allium harvest still hung, and no entries
for our county fair this year around! I am home alone for the first
time since moving to the stead, am amazed at what i hope to accomplish
without Mom duties during the day (yea sure!). Quite a change that
allows me to see what i shall be (yet again) when i grow up ;-) It's a
wonderful thing to see the fruits of labor fledge the nest!!
Before leaving next week, i will have time to put by Sunberries,
Bell Peppers, anchos, harvest Bloody Butcher Corn to dry for seed, and
get a few more Fall vegies in ground (& hope they do not need human
intervention while the gardener is away!!). It has been a whirlwind
lately, and i miss the give and take of lists such as this good one!
Bev, so, so often - i really relate to your life and 'tudes! What
fun to run into kindred spirits thru cyberspace....sorry it has been so
one way.
Don - if you are out there - i do hope you have time to visit our
remote slice of the Kentucky Mountains on one of legs of the journey.
Please know you are welcome, and can always park at the farm next to us
(uninhabited, and approved gladly by previous RV type visitors). I do
not think you'd be able to haul it down the short road, across the
bedrock of a creek ravine, and up to the yard!! Our neck of the woods
contains some interesting and great neighbors, lotsa solitude and
serenity, and the chow may be at least as good as at Gene's!!! You'll
have to try our slice of pizza, too. Our county is no longer dry, so
there is brew for YOU!
Thanks for all the give and take here - looking forward to
cold-weather postings when life slows a bit and the jet lag abates :)
Toni
Red River Gorge- KY