homestead - Re: [Homestead] Social commentary..Catch My Disease..OT

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Social commentary..Catch My Disease..OT
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:52:30 -0400

You know, this world gets crazier and crazier. What is wrong with people??

I still haven't decide if the world gets crazier and crazier or if
that is my reaction as I get older and older.

my thoughts run
along the lines of what messages are these types of commercials trying
to convey-that's it's okay to be stupid as long as you buy this product
or that one and rely on it?

I worked at an ad agency for 6 years before I made the break (as a
computer guy and last month was my one year anniversary of making the
break). I always wondered if I was part of the problem for making
their network work :>)

It was an interesting time in my life and one that I would not give
up, really fitting for my last job before I started moving down the
homesteader path. Pretty disgusting at times what goes on in the
background in the making of an ad campaign.

The thing I got is that all the ads had to have "a hook". I can still
see the president of the company yelling that to a junior account
executive, "WHERE IS THE HOOK??!!".

I guess on one hand it is exploiting our humanness.

It seems that when these social issues come up, no one listens to the
more conservative side...they are beaten up in the press as abusers or
limiters of freedom, yet as time passes, their warnings become reality
and then the more liberal side complains about the problem.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is a liberal/conservative issue. Large
corporations fan millions of dollars in front of companies that can
get our attention, hook us and reel us in. Corporate greed issue might
explain it better. No matter what the issue is, it is truly
disgusting.

Rob - Va