homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vinegar (was Frankenfoods)

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vinegar (was Frankenfoods)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:43:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:22:48 -0400, Viking wrote:

> First, on the uses of vinegar, I have to say that I am well aware of all
> the great uses for the stuff. What I meant to say is that I don't know
> how it really affects one as far as hydration is concerned.
>

> > 2. Thirst-quenching drink: apple cider vinegar mixed with cold water.
>
> I suppose they use apple cider vinegar just for the flavor. I like the
> flavor of the dill and garlic from pickle juice. It really does quench
> thirst.
>
> Bev

Me, too - and green olive brine. Granted, most of the uses on that list are
common knowledge - it's just one of the first few I googled up.

Another site one warns (just an interesting aside, gotta remember they're
trying
to sell something):
"Avoid "pickle" mania
Recently, something new has hit the athletic scene claiming to work wonders
for
the dehydrated athlete: pickle juice. The Philadelphia Eagles used pickle
juice
as a supplement to their players’ fluid replacement during Week 1 of the 2000
NFL
season. The players and coaches of the Eagles credited, at least anecdotally,
pickle juice for their win over the Dallas Cowboys. The next week, many
football
teams across the country were utilizing pickle juice as part of the
fluid-replacement program."

I'm still looking for some bona fide information on hyration, but Time keeps
tapping me on the shoulder. Bev, any comment yet on Gene's pH query?

Sandy

Get free email at http://www.highdesert.com