homestead - Re: [Homestead] pickled asparagus, was: Frankenfoods

  • From: Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pickled asparagus, was: Frankenfoods
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:22:49 -0400

Most of my pickled veggies use a similar recipe. A garlic clove, a hot pepper, a head of dill, some pickling spice if I have it and of course vinegar and salt. The asparagus was given to me; it's a bit late in the year for it and it's tough. I haven't grown it but might take the offered seeds and start a patch.

I know, most asparagus patches are planted from crowns. You only lose a year if started from seed. I need to decide where to put the nursery. After the first season you need to transplant them to a permanent bed which I think is going to be in the pasture along with a corn patch and maybe even next year's potatoes.

Viking wrote:
Is this a straight vinegar and salt pickle or something else?
(Like I ever have enough asparagus to pickle-I'm lucky if I get to the house with it!) But it sounds intriguing...