homestead - Re: [Homestead] classic freecycle- slightly OT "needy" people

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] classic freecycle- slightly OT "needy" people
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:54:46 -0400

Haa haa! I've seen some of these type, Bev, groaned, and deleted.
While I was doing disaster response for the Red Cross, these kinds of
people seemed to come out of the woodwork. Some of them were genuinely
clue-less but I suspected most of them to be con artists.

We had several indignant demands to replace "home entertainment centers",
as if this was necessary to life. Then there was the person who had a
kitchen fire of dubious origin. She was highly upset over the firemen
breaking down the back screen door (she wasn't home), and wanted money to
repair it even though it was rental property. She lost 1 t-shirt and 1 pair
of jeans (why were they in the kitchen?), and thought we should give her
$200-$300 to replace them and give her a new kitchen table and chairs as
well. The fire department told us there was only smoke damage to the
furniture. I had to grit my teeth, act civil, but stand firm in face of
verbal abuse from some of these people.