homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Musings and Direstion

  • From: Viking <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Musings and Direstion
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:24:18 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

I now have a new way to function. I tend to think you have to get
the job done in one day or two and stick with it until it's done. If
not, then for some reason you have failed at some level. This is
ridiculous. Reading about kaizen was illuminating, then the clansgian
post was an "of course!" followed by a dope slap.

LOL! I tend the be that way, too, and it has taken me a long time to
break that "finish the project quickly" mentality. Learning the hard
way, as usual, I've suffered many injuries and have worn myself down
trying to do everything at once. I try to take one day off a week just
to remind myself to slow down, rest and enjoy things. That advice is as
older than the Bible, but I'm a bit dense sometimes.

Everyone speaks of homesteading as a process, but I've thought
homesteaders have an ultra-productive gene that I lack. My paternal
grandparents were farmers, should have already learned this lesson.

Actually, if anything, it would be a lazy gene...too lazy to do it all
at once..<g>...or maybe it's a too broke gene...too broke to buy what
you need, so you improvise and do it little by little.

Our kitchen stove finally gave up the ghost last night. The oven still
works, but the burners are now all but gone. I guess it's time for a
new range. I'm already thinking about what useful thing I could do with
the old oven....since it is electric, I could actually cook outside in
the oven in the summer and not heat up the house..or use it as a dryer.
I wonder how good it would be to use in the greenhouse mid winter to
heat up the greenhouse. Worst case scenario is that I bury it and use
the oven part as in-ground storage or a hot bed, pun intended. It could
become a smoker, too.

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W