homestead - Re: [Homestead] Random thoughts

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Random thoughts
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:59:38 -0700

I have never been happy away from the land and decided about 12 or so years ago that come hell or high water, back to the land it was going to be. DH is a city boy (raised outside Boston, MA, can't get much more city <g>) and it has been a gradual thing. Small steps and lots of saving and acquiring "stuff" that would be needed when we finally got here. Kinda aclimatizing him to the whole idea <g>

Seems to have worked pretty good because he can't beat a path back here quick enough even when the only time we spend in the city is the once a month grocery shopping.

In fact, I've made such a convert of him that he refuses to buy anything until he has investigated every which way of reusing or scavanging or building from something else first. Absolutely nothing is thrown away anymore and that is amazing in someone who was totally raised in a disposable society.

Today he found a dead tree and was in hog heaven. He came in to tell me that we wouldn't have to buy any lumber for adding a couple of more raised beds. This dead fir was perfect to make at least four 2x12x16 for the sides. Then the kidlet found a space down near the creek where the leaf mulch is so deep you sink in it and they have decided that a load of that will be the basis for the two new beds.

Oh, and he's going to use the narrow end of the tree to add to the wood he is saving up to put a pergola on the east side of the house which is an absolute oven in the summer.

At anyrate, he is having fun and doesn't consider any of the continual work to be work!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw AT chilitech.net>

To you wannabees....make sure your spouse really wants to do this!!! If a
homesteader starts resenting the 'sacrifices' they have to make to
homestead, and doesn't see the beauty and fun in it, it's the beginning of
the end.