homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gunbelts

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gunbelts
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:27:43 -0400

>From a gun buff, and concealed permit holder...

I think before I mentioned an encounter with a snake on my way to the post
office. Problem with pistols, and fear when about to be attacked, is
accuracy. If snakes are your problem, I recommend rounds that are filled
with fine shot, such as bird shot. Problem with these in a semi-auto, such
as most 9mm pistols, is that there is not enough blowback to cycle the next
round, which leaves you with, essentially, a single shot pistol. Far better
a revolver, loaded with 5 alternating rounds of shot and slug, with the
hammer on an empty chamber. Shot first, for little varmints, and then slug
second, if you miss, or for varmints of the larger, or two legged, variety.
You also then have follow-up shots, if necessary.

Ray