homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cobbler Recipe

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cobbler Recipe
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 00:38:26 -0400

From Farm Journal's The Thrifty Cook p. 256 (1974):

Rhubarb Cobbler (Old-fashioned style)

1 c. sifted flour 1 to 1 1/2 c. sugar
2 T sugar 2 T cornstarch
1 1/2 t. baking powder 2 T water
1/4 t. salt 4 c. rhubarb, 1" pieces
1/4 c. butter 1 T butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 c. milk

To make topping, sift together flour, 2 T sugar, baking powder and salt.
Cut in 1/4 c. butter untl mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Blent together
egg and milk; add to dry ingredients. Stir just to moisten.

Combine 1 to 1 1/2 c. sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Stir in water and
fruit. Cook, stirring until mixture comes to a boil; boil one minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in 1 T butter. Place in greased 8" square pan.
Top wit 6 mounds of topping. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. 6
servings (that's a lie)

Variations

When I use anything other than rhubarb, I cut the sugar way down. I don't
like baked goods real sweet (except brownies and cinnamon rolls), as a rule
at my house we use half the sugar called for in a recipe. I also always
double the recipe (an 8x13 pan) and I usually triple the part for the
cobbler dough. I add cinnamon and nutmeg, whatever I feel like adding.