homestead - [Homestead] Of dogs and men

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Of dogs and men
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:21:06 -0500

Give those boys a hug from me. I can't believe you still have them-they
must be ancient by now. They surely have served you well over the
years, haven't they?
Gene, refresh my memory..how many acres do you have there at Heartwood?
I know you sold some of it...

Dax and Benny both turned ten last month. Benny still bounces, though not as high. Dax is weakening physically but retains the heart of a lion. They run not as fast as once; a week-old fawn outran them last week. But it was close.

Heartwood is 130 acres. We bought back the three acres we sold to a young couple who wanted to build their dream. They built an A-frame and garden but went busted after three years and moved back to Florida.

We seek someone to live in the A-frame so the dogs and tools are safe when we are away. I have reached the biblical and Shakespearean three score and ten and while I am currently in good physical condition it would seem from a study of our species that the day will surely arrive when a bit of help may be useful.