homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hoophouse query??

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hoophouse query??
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:39:15 -0500

We can't free-range poultry because of diligent
dogs that keep most wildlife out of the kitchen gardens! The Aussie will
chase the buzzards, crows, and great blue herons deep into the woods, as
tho she had a hope ;-) THAT is good - we're the only farm without deer
or other critter detruction way out in our hollar.

Must be in the breed. Our Aussie, Benny, dreams that one day he will be able to climb trees and also fly. Then those climbing critters and buzzards will be in serious trouble. Also the crows that are currently taking a large share of the mulberries.

And, yes, our unfenced garden also knows neither deer nor other critters, thanks to Benny and Dax, the German Shepherd.