homestead - Re: [Homestead] Check out the neighbors!

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Check out the neighbors!
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:06:07 EDT

Gene:

> One of a Realtor's obligations is to be able
> to recommend competent home inspectors, termite inspectors, escrow
> people, mortgage people, insurance people, surveyors, well drillers,
> repairmen, etc.

When my parents sold a house a few years ago, the bank required (of course)
among other things a termite inspection. There were no termites nor any sign
of them, we inspected the house ourselves. Sure enough, the the pest company
man said to the effect, "I couldn't possibly certify this house as termite
free
unless I did my $1400 deluxe treatment on it."

My father pressed the issue and demanded written evidence that the treatment
was needed. After much obsfucation and resistance (and threats of prefering
charges of fraud) the pest company showed insects they had found near an
outbuilding 60 feet away. They were earwings! They cleared the house, but
it was a
gigantic hassel.

Having a reputable inspector would be worth a very great deal. In this case
it was a matter of general corruption in the business. Nearly all inspectors
always found a need to apply their most expensive treatment to any house
being
sold.